Thread: .
View Single Post
      03-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #16
BB6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 G80

Below is a video I posted on the BM3 OT2 stg3 93 octane. I have downpipes, charcoal delete and running R888R on back. I have been running each updated version of the OTS stg2 that comes out. They are getting better and better. Each version keeps getting updated and bugs fixed. The first one I ran a couple years ago had some gremlins and then each version those gremlins started to disappear. But, that was when it was more beta for our platform. I feel the OTS maps have been safe so far in my experience. You just need to check your logs after the updated versions load so you understand how your car responds to it. I run my laptop with it and like it that way. I am no professional mechanic by any means, but you have to use a little common sense with these cars. DO NOT OVERHEAT THEM, you will pay for it later. With the OTS tune I have ran the car pretty hard, but I let it cool properly. You have to remember you are pushing the perimeters of the engine the more you demand from it. Life cycles of the metals, bearings, rotating assemblies are only made for so much resistance and duty and when you start adding boost (the death of engines!) you start shortening the life cycles of those components. Now, that being said, if your are more of a weekend warrior with these cars and just want to drive to starbucks/car shows, then I really wouldn't worry about it. A STG2 from the big name guys on this forum will more than be enough and for the most part be extremely safe in my opinion. These guys have a ton of data from different driving conditions that they build these maps from. If you get a tune there is no way around it, you will have to get some stickies on back. Also remember this car is extremely heavy and you do not want to have to replace broken drive part unless you are mechanically inclined and even then they are a pain. If you want a car to track or just beat the living heck out of then this probably isn't the car to do that with.
I can tell you that unless you are in TX, FL, OK areas then you are going to have a really hard time finding guys that can even keep up with you on a stg2 (unless you are an avid street racer and know a ton of modded car guys). I have been through a lot of ups and downs with this car, some were the car gods punishing me and some where just the natures of this car. They are very fun, but can get away from you quick and they are hard to recover in when they do because they are so heavy (remember this with a tune especially). And for god sake, please remember these cars do not stop like sports cars because they are heavy. Do not get cooking on the highway and think your are going to stop on a dime before you get up to that family in the minivan. You have to respect these cars due to their weight, I promise you.
Appreciate 1