Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
Well, personally the M5 and M6 are great because they're essentially super cars (albeit heavy) that look boring. I don't want to attract attention and an M5 only attracts positive attention as people who know what it is are generally excited to see a fan. A yellow corvette Z06 or Ferrari is going to attract unwanted attention from people as well as good and I don't want it.

Also, I think the e60 has the rod bearings tanking the value but also last V10 Balancing out good ones. the F10 sadly has weight against it. I'd assume it depreciates better than an e60 or the same.

If it makes you feel better my 2015 Audi S6 lost $20k In a year and a half this year. The M brand helps and Audi doesn't have it despite the S6 being an excellent car.

Just letting you know...no buyer of the E6x M5/6 or E9X M3 is "concerned" about rod bearings. And it's certainly not what's going to depreciate the value of the car.

We're at a lifecycle of these cars where it's ONLY hardcore enthusiasts are buying it. As such rod bearing fixes are well documented and importantly very competitive in pricing for a swap. Did you know it costs LESS than $3k to do a RB swap on a S65 in California? I'm talking about reputable shops like EAS and Ptech. So enthusiasts are seeing it as a maintenance item. In fact it costs less to do RBs than it would cost to buy a set of tires or brakes.

I have extensive research on the RB issues and all the ownership issues for the E series M3/5/6 cars. It is in the sweet spot of ownership today where all issues are documented with known remedies and competitive shop pricing and ample shop knowledge.

The good news with the S63 is that there is no known endemic issue for the powertrain. Sure there's one-off issues, and you're always going to get coolant and oil leaks with any turbo car...but there is no $20k blown motor or $10k blown transmission issues to worry about.
I'm jealous, it's $5k for bearings I'm in the Midwest but still, most say don't bother doing the job. Good advice or not, you don't see many with the job done here. Also, tires are $800 so it was cheap so trade offs are nice I guess.
Appreciate 0