01-13-2020, 03:28 PM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by plm View Post
One other thing to note is that you shouldn't really connect your CTEK charging cable ground ring to the battery itself. The battery has the Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) in that black module on the negative terminal. If you connect the charging ground directly to the battery then the IBS won't know when you're charging the battery with the charger as you've bypassed it, so it won't factor that into its calculations on battery state, health, and life. If you move the ring terminal to the chassis somewhere then you'll be fine, as the charging current will have to pass through the chassis ground lead, the IBS, and into the battery.

This is why BMW recommend to charge through the engine bay jump start points.

The positive connection point is fine, as the IBS is only on the negative terminal.
Ah, you're right...that slipped past me at the time...but now that you've brought it up...it is mentioned to always use the engine bay jump terminals as not to bypass the IBS because it could cause fault codes etc. See text highlighted in green below:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0