07-25-2019, 05:24 AM   #980
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I meal prep dinners. I'm a Resident so don't even have time to take a piss. Between patients, rounds, procedures, more rounds, etc. I'm not joking when I say I don't have time. Many days we aren't even given a chance to grab lunch.

Thankfully this is temporary, I'll still be working like mad but will be able to eat during the day.
Well I will say that your situation is unique. Also I am assuming you are young...and that also plays a role in things. I could eat non-stop in my 20's and early 30's and hardly gain anything. Add in the fact that you are on your feet all day, and your metabolism is in overdrive.

In my humble opinion, I would just focus on maintaining current weight, and get as much cardio in as you can for health purposes. In other words, let's see how lean you can get without changing your diet...let the exercise dictate it.

If you are doing all of the above, I honestly don't think it's worth it to try and add weight as you will get frustrated and then start eating stuff that could partition the wrong way. Get lean and muscular....hold it for as long as you can until you are in a better spot to start gaining, and by holding it for an extended period of time it will make any surplus of food partition more towards muscle as your insulin sensitivity will be very optimized!

Weight gainers aren't all bad....just some use them as a "crutch". You don't have the luxury of getting in enough solid meals, so I think they would be okay for you. Just look for something that has complex carbs, a good source of mixed proteins, some healthy fats, and as low a sugar content as you can find.

I would recommend Muscle Feast Ultimate Weight Gainer - Grass Fed Hormone Free Whey. $50 for 7 lbs of great product. I use their products exclusively.

High protein to carb weight gainer

46 grams of protein from grass fed hormone free whey isolate & micellar casein

101 grams of carbs from waxy maize & maltodextrin

600 calories per serving

Low sugar & fat

Gluten & lactose-free

Mixes well in water or milk