View Single Post
      02-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #1
jafo_9
Rep
Drives: 14 M6 GC

Extended Waranty Opinions

So I just purchased my '14 M6GC off lease. I love, love this car. I meticulously followed the break-in procedure and it has run flawlessly for 6 years/33K miles. (she requires about 2 quarts oil/year). There are occasions when I drive it hard, but most miles are daily commutes or 3-500mi road trips. I have the Competition package as well as DINAN Stage 2 and Acrapovik exhaust.

Upon acquisition the dealership offered 60mo/60,000mi Comprehensive Extended warranty for $4,274.00 w/$200 deductible.

I discussed with my Service Tech (who is excellent) and he advised that although they service very few M6's, they have ALOT of M5's (w/S63 engine) and that since introduction they've had only 1 total engine fail. Completely seized. It was under factory warranty and BMW NA wouldn't let the dealership look at it at all. They replaced all under warranty and took the seized engine for study ($35K total bill (!!)). Beyond this they've had only 2 major engine fails that each totalled ~$5K in repairs.

So do I get the extended waranty? At first it seemed right, but now I'm inclined to pass (or perhaps tuck $4,274 away in an interest baring acct as a safety net). I kinda sensed that my tech was leaning against (surprising). I'm fortunate enough that no repair bill of any size would interrupt me or my family financially, but still want to do the right thing. Opinions?

P.S. The dealership confirmed in writing that the DINAN tune would not affect the warranty.
Appreciate 0