Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I'm probably not a good person to give advice on this....

But also having Asian parents, I can relate. One thing I will say - no matter what you do, they'll find something to try and push onto you. I got my bachelors - "why didn't you go for your MBA?". I have a high paying job where I make more than double what my father makes - "So and so is a business owner making millions".

Big thing after I graduated and got a good job was marriage - "why aren't you married yet? what are you waiting for?". After I got married - "when are you having kids? so and so already has 2 kids". Now after having a kid - "when is the 2nd kid coming?".

Point is, it's never enough. And while this won't work for everyone... I've just become numb to it and I tune it out. As long as I have a solid plan for my future and have thought about how I want my life to be, I live happily and tune out the constant reminder of disappointment from my parents.

On the one hand, parents want what's best for you, and there's merit in that. On the other hand, 1st generation Asian parents are completely out of touch with what constitutes success - and in their mind there's only one path. It's a case of them not knowing any better. So from that angle you still have to understand that they're simply doing this because they're worried about you... even if it's misplaced and short sighted.
I can relate. My parents are already talking about marriage with me. I'm hardly even old enough imo. I haven't even found myself yet. I haven't even enjoyed myself or gone to places I want to visit like the BMW museum.

I know my parents think they know what's good for me but in reality you're not wrong. No matter what I do or how much I make, I'll be compared to the next person.

I've been trying to numb them out with this whole college thing but it's hard
540iSUP704.00
Merlin_83473.50