View Single Post
      01-19-2022, 01:39 PM   #1
tericm
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Limited

Advice needed on purchase, oil issue - long

Hello all,
First post and I would like your advice. First BMW.

I purchased a 2016 BMW 640i Convertible this week, 54K miles, all M packages, from a reputable dealer who owns a Lexus and BMW dealership. Prior to the car being available for sale, it was serviced by the BMW dealership.

I test drove it for about 15 minutes around local roads, checked it over afterwards and everything appeared to be fine. While on the way home I was traveling on the interstate and cruising along at about 75mph and the “Low oil, add a quart” came on, I thought that they probably didn’t fill it up when it was serviced. So, I slowed down and continued to drive, after another 5-6 miles the “Low oil pressure, pullover or risk engine damage” warning appeared, luckily I was passing a Rest Area and immediately ducked in and shut the car engine off. When I stopped, I could smell burning oil and saw smoke. I opened the hood and there was oil all over the top of the engine and dripping down onto the ground. My friend who was following me saw something on the windshield and then realized it was oil from my car. It was after hours and the dealership was closed. I called the salesman man and he stated I did the right thing by immediately stopping and he had me call BMW Roadside assistance to come get the car. (That is an entire story by itself). The next day the salesman called and said that a technician made a rookie mistake and over tightened the oil dome cap, which created a gap, and oil was spraying out from there once the engine got hot when I was drive at interstate speeds.

The engine has since been “scoped” and fully diagnosed, it was determined that there wasn’t any internal damage done to the engine. They are changing the filter, dome cap, gasket and belts on the car, along with a full cleaning, and detailing of the car. I stopped my down payment check, and they took the car back, but said I can still purchase it if I wanted to, as it is OK.

The car was originally purchased As-Is due to it being out of the warranty period. It is a beautiful car and I really loved the 50 minutes I got to drive it, well at least the first 40. ��

My questions are:
Should I still purchase the car?
Other than a longer test drive at interstate speeds, what else should I do or look for?

Thanks, Eric

Last edited by tericm; 01-28-2022 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0