08-05-2020, 05:19 PM   #15
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
Okay lets be clear I am not a neat fanatic. The issue was almost staining or discoloration, especially at the top. I simply do not want to look at that all the time. Also, I do clean and condition my leather regularly. I suspect that something the po put on his/her hand (oil, soap, cream) damaged the leather.

I started to try and strip the crappy refinish spray installed by the dealer, just wouldn't come off with a sponge, so I will carefully go through 600-1000-1500 sandpaper to clean off the material and also the top layer of the leather, then retreat and hope for the best.

Attachment 2381653
oh that's terrible, yes it does look like some twit has put a harsh sandpaper type of sponge to the wheel at some point maybe in an attempt to clean it...??
I agree with you Mjposner! I couldn't look at that everyday either and I am a little OCD.... lol that would send me bonkers.
Good luck I hope it comes up well. Have you considered taking it to a leather trimmer shop? just a suggestion as they could help removed that dreadful finish on the leather and then re-dye leather to improved the finish and look.

keep us updated !
Appreciate 0