MoFoHo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Garage List
2015 BMW M6  [7.00]
New M6 owner

Hi everyone! I'm a new owner of a beautiful 2015 M6 here in the UK. The weather here has been (predictably) awful since I picked her up in early January, so I'll try get some nice pics (that's my wonderful fiance hiding in the passenger seat) when it finally stops raining...

I've gone from a 2005 630i, to a 2014 640d, to my 1st BMW M car.
The car is a 2015, with approx 45000 miles. Shortly after taking ownership I had a Leeds based independant take a look at her. No major issues. However they did point out 2 things.

1. Non standard BMW coolant.
2. Unsure of what the last full service actually consisted of.

1. Yea...for some reason, it's some non-standard BMW clear coolant installed. I've advised the independant to do a flush out and restore with BMW approved coolant. A wise move? Or am I being paranoid? It's an overnight job apparantly, and I don't mind having it done. Is it a relatively straight forward task?

2. The service interval. The independent asked me to ask the dealer what the last service actually consisted of-somethings been cleared or ticked in the iDrive, but they aren't sure what was done. Oil change? Filters? Can't be sure, and the dealer is proving very hard to get hold of...

My responce? Full independant service anyway: oil change, filter changes, spark plugs, the works. Expensive, sure, but my mind is more at ease knowing its had a full service (despite having a....'service' very recently). Again, a wise move? I don't think, in any of my years of car ownership, I've EVER had the spark plugs changed!

Again, would folks aggree this is a wise, sound move? The car will do limited (approx 4K) miles in my ownership anyway, and will have a yeary oli change anyway too. Are spark plug changes a regular requirement? How often does the car 'ask' for new spark plugs, and would changing them every year be a sound idea anyway?

Oh and one last question. When gathering insurance quotes, the car came back as an 'M6 Competition', and a VIN number search reveals this too.
There are NO badges stating competition anywhere on the car. I thought the Competition moniker came with certain badges on the car denoting as such? The exhaust tips are finished in carbon fibre. Could someone please explain the 'competition' thing to me? I'm still learning all this BMW stuff!

Like I said, I'll try posting some niver pics when we have some decent weather. She's a stunning looking car!

Many thanks (in advance) for any advice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4