View Single Post
      02-16-2017, 11:08 AM   #1
Zoorah12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

E90 335i, E82 135i, or E86 Z4 M roadster?

What's up guys,

First let me give you a bit of backstory: I'm coming from an 08 328xi. Loved the car- smooth engine and, though underpowered, handled well and was still a joy to drive on the back roads. From there I got a '99 M Roadster which has just been absolutely incredible- fast, direct, tight in the corners, and you can't beat the scream of that S52 engine in the high rev's.

I'm now pondering what my next purchase will be. I know that i'm comparing apples to oranges, but i've narrowed my choices down to the 335i (N54 engine), 135i (N54 Engine), and the Z4 M vert.

I want this to be a project. I'm essentially looking to build the best back roads warrior that I will also daily drive, so i'm interested in hearing opinions on what platform would be best to start with. Upon first glance I would assume the Z4M vert would be the easy choice, but it's difficult (and expensive as you likely need a supercharger) to pull more power out of the NA engine. On the other hand, I know that the N54 engine has a ton of readily available power potential and aftermarket support, but is it possible to get the handling up to snuff? And of the two, 135i and 335i, which would be the better starting platform?

Appreciate any insight. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has considered these three options. It's an interesting debate.
Appreciate 0