Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
They should change the marketing line to:

"The Ultimate Self-Driving Machine"

I have no interest in a car with 500+ hp that is designed for an idiot to be able to "safely" mash the throttle with the steering wheel turned.

For me every 335, 340, whatever that I've driven has felt numb and disconnected, even with the extra 'M badges'. Fast in a straight line, maybe, but designed for a market where drivers expect to be able to check their email and drink their coffee at WOT. And still brag about their 0-60 times.

The M3/M4 have historically been better in this regard. The gap is reducing recently, but at least they are (were?) designed for driver enjoyment.

I really don't see what driver engagement will be left with an 8-speed auto transmission that needs to shift gears so often that the human can no longer really be in the loop. (cue the 6MT police... ) The new X3M demonstrates this philosophy clearly for me. Brute force point&shoot machine - fast but with zero engagement.

I *really* hope that they pull something special out of the bag with the G8x to prove me wrong. Fix the steering numbness. Make the ZF box something where the driver is in charge of shifts and the gearbox does wha it's told. Get the AWD out of my face once it's done the first 10ft of your 0-60 'race'.
If you want more control, buy a 6MT!!!

Sincerely,

The [6MT] Police
Appreciate 0