View Single Post
      05-21-2018, 04:51 PM   #11
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

OP - I agree. Every car I've had prior to the E88 recommended somewhere around 30-32psi for normal use. I used to run 42PSI all-round on my subaru, higher pressures give more direct handling - a the expense of accelerated shoulder-wear - and less overall grip when you get "over-inflated".

My E88 recommends 48/51PSI for a fully loaded car. I'm assuming that's because it came with runflats.

Since I'm running vastly different tires than the car was expecting (non-runflat MPS4's 225/40 & 255/35) my tire sizes aren't even listed on the plaque.

I had tried running at 48/51PSI and it's just as you say - pretty harsh. ..

So now I run what the tire shop wrote on the book when they sold me the tires - 36PSI at the front, 34PSI at the rear.

Handling, Grip and ride-comfort all seem better than with the ridiculous pressures recommended by BMW.

I'd say you can't go wrong with the factory specs if you're running factory tires; but once you change from factory tires & rims to something else - play with the pressure and see what feels right.

Also - most cars have different pressures for unloaded (driver only) vs fully-loaded (4 passengers+suitcases) car. If it feels harsh on the fully-loaded pressures, check what your unloaded car pressures are, and run them for a while.
Appreciate 0