View Single Post
      03-29-2019, 11:13 AM   #1
psdejong
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1990 PORSCHE 928 GT, 1988 BMW

1988 M6 landshark restoration

I am new to the BMW forum, and new to BMW.
As the owner of a couple of Porsche 928's, a 968 and a 1952 MGTD. I love working on cars myself.

I recently (coincidentally) became owner of a 1988 BMWM6 (S38 engine, US model). 145,000 miles on the odo, and it had been sitting unused for about 8 years. The interior is in excellent condition and the body is perfectly straight. There's hardly a scratch or a nick anywhere.
I always loved this shark and with the 928's, it will be my number 3 shark, so I couldn't let this deal go by. The first owner was asking $ 7,500.

The red paint looked terrible but became back nicely after a good polishing job. The plastic has to be repainted.
I have taken the engine completely apart and I intend to upgrade the car with a set of Schrick cams, in order to get a little more power out of the 6 cylinder. The USA rating of 250 HP is rather low and I want to get it up to at least the Euro model 635CSi level.
I am taking my time in getting this beautiful car in a 100% condition and am currently looking around what the possibilities are to increase the performance.

The questions I have for this forum are:

Is there anyone who has upgraded this type of car as far as performance, and what are the possibilities?

Where can I find shop manuals, either online or downloadable PDF files?

Which companies are recommended for camshafts and pistons? I talked to a few, but the people I talked to have very little knowledge. Before I buy cams and higher compression pistons, I want to know how much bang I get for my buck, but I am rather disappointed in the knowledge of the few tuning/performance shops I have talked to.

Peter de Jong,
Landrum, SC
Appreciate 0