01-29-2021, 09:46 AM   #33
WildWilly1100
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Hard to know what the accident was. Curious how you know how much the damage cost. But you are right, a broken headlight and a new front bumper cover would approach $7,000. If you are planning to go see it in person before buying, look at the paint in good light from various angles and see if any look off in color. Bumpers can often look a different shade from the factory so don't worry too much about that. Look for panels where the paint does not look as smooth. But I bet you find nothing. It was probably repaired well. If you see nothing amiss on the body, and it drives straight, I would not let that stop me. If it were a common color with a common interior and common options I might move on to the next one since I will go anywhere in the country for a car. But that one is just too cool and rare to pass up IMO.

Since it is a 2015, I can tell you one minor thing that might be wrong with it that you can check. But maybe not since that one was made several months after mine. It has been discussed here, but up through sometime in 2015 they used crankcase breather lines that were made of flimsy accordion plastic that baked in the heat under the hood and cracked. They changed the design to be heavy rubber hoses. They are covered under an extended warranty in the US - not sure about Canada. You can search threads here for pics. All you have to do is pull off the decorative engine cover to see what type is there. It's not a big deal - they will just cause some oil seepage up top. They run over a silver metal "tray". If it has the old type and they are cracked, there will be oil on the tray. If you see no oil, then they are good for now. But you may well have the new type. Since I don't like mechanics touching my cars unless I can't avoid it, I ignored the warranty and replaced them myself. It's not hard.
That's great info, thanks. The carfax shows the $7,000 estimate for repairs, doesn't say it was repaired, just an estimate. The might mean that he took the money and had it repaired on his own. I'll check for the breather lines, but they are covered by the 10 year, 192,000 kms warranty in Canada as well.
Appreciate 0