03-05-2020, 05:55 AM   #11
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I write from many years of toil on this topic, my recommendation in order of preference:

1. Pay the fine and move along. I've been ticketed 4 times in the last 10 for no plates in the same jurisdiction. It's the price for vanity. $160 in aggregate, whatever.

2. Tow hook plate mount. They all mount the same way, and they all look funky. Over time it'll sag and your plate becomes crooked.

3. Double check under your bumper to see if holes are pre-drilled. My plate holes are pre-drilled. You can't see them, because, they're on the underside of the bumper. I don't know how OEM frames are mounted, but it appears they mount on the underside of the bumper with a tab tension, but likely will touch part of the bumper.

4. Use plate mounts on the lower grill. Ergh, this is my pet peeve. I don't understand why "car people" do this. The lower grill is designed for airflow for your radiator. A plate covers about 30% of the area that's critical for the cooling function of the powertrain. Plus it looks terrible and out of place.

5. Keep the plate on your front dash. Another pet peeve of mine. You're essentially putting the equivalent of a metal knife at your face level on your dash and waiting for an accident to project it into the occupant space. Smart, very smart.

#4 is wrong. ive never overheated. kidney grills provide more than enough cooling. my tuner says it doesnt matter as well.
Appreciate 0