12-26-2016, 11:26 PM   #351
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
That pretty much opens up the can of worms of infinite options that I wasn't ready to open! It's tough because there are so many directions, but that's what's pretty neat about the industry now. You can get 'endurance/comfort' bikes that can be set up pretty aggressively - new gen Cannondale Synapse's, Specialized Roubaix's, BMC GF01's, etc. Then there are bikes like Trek Madone/Emonda's which are race bred carbon frames, but can be had in slackened head tube heights for less aggressive fits. As Mr. Tonka said, I find that any of the new nicer carbon frames ride well (race or aero race), you won't be caught out by comfort on one if fit correctly. If anything, the quicker handling would be more impacting if you ask me.

Since it looks like you are committed to ride and already enjoy it, I don't think you have to worry about spending too much without even knowing if you like it. This is just me, but I always have a few guidelines.

1 - Buy a bike that has a quality support reputation or can be supported by a local shop/mechanic in case of warranty issues. Nothing is worse than being stuck with a trillion dollar X but have to argue over the phone to get it replaced - see Mr Tonka's example of support with his LBS and BMC, which was awesome

2 - This is obviously such a nutjob cyclist thing to say, but buy more than you think you need so you don't go nuclear upgrading it later - again see Mr Tonka's meteoric rise up the defcon level with his BMC

3 - Duh, get fit on the damn thing. If you can't even get comfortable on it, of course you're going to hate it. All the touch points, get them dialed in.

Moral of the story might be, go to your LBS and see what catches your eye. You'll likely find a pretty awesome bike that will work.
All good stuff, the part about fit especially. I often take fit for granted because a personal friend is the RETUL fitter at my LBS. Heck, i drop by when i change a saddle just to make sure i didn't muck anything up.

You can't underestimate a good bike fit.