07-14-2020, 11:25 AM   #4334
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Tool - got it, thanks for the reminder.

I'm not overly concerned about the bears to be honest, I think they are probably just as scared of me as I am them and I've never seen one. I have however seen one or two coyotes within about 200 metres. One of them stood so tall I thought it might even be a coywolf. Biggest coyote I've ever seen anyhow.

Generally I walk mostly on streets, though there is a forest on each side and not too many homes on the one street which is where I've seen them. Sometimes I will take a trail which is an old railway track that they ripped up and converted to a long trail - and that always is running through the forest with few to no houses on either side usually.

I think if I were to walk my property in the bush, I'd probably bring my shotgun. I see a rifle as problematic with how far the round could travel if I were nervous and missed...and I would be nervous. Whereas a 12G with buck or slugs should do an admirable job on discouraging a bear I'd imagine. Or a coyote.

But I can't exactly bring my shotgun on the rail trail and expect not to have a visit from many police since it is public property.
If you're going to take your shotgun make sure you have a small game licence that is valid for the time of year, I think coyote is open 12 months but check with MNR....also only carry the gun where it's permitted to hunt, not in provincial parks, city limits etc. I think MNR would be worse to deal with than the police. Also, make sure you're in compliance with all of the other regs PAL etc.

Further to the knife thing, I always carry one, in the city what ever. The only place you can't take one now seems to be public venue's like sporting events and concerts. Other than that you just never know when you might need to cut up a mango....
Appreciate 0