View Single Post
      07-14-2020, 11:11 AM   #4332
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
So as long as its labeled "bear spray" it's ok. It is exactly the same as what the cops carry OC Spray, but what the police carry is prohibited.

Regarding knives, there is no law that prohibits carrying a knife with a few caveats. The knife cannot be opened by a spring, (switchblades and stilleto's) they are prohibited under the criminal code, also if a knife can be opened using centrifugal force, (flick blades) they are also prohibited. Other than that no issue. If you encounter the police the correct answer is that it is a tool, and not a weapon or for protection. I have always carried a knife, I worked as a commercial diver before joining the police dept. I was often on boats and around the water so I carried a knife for work purposes but also used it as a tool when I was away from work. So you can carry a machete if you like, you're in the bush and use it to clear paths savvy? If you found yourself using it to defend against a bear or coyote so be it but that's not why you have it.

If you're seriously concerned about bears and they have been an issue I'd consider carrying a rifle, just make sure you're in compliance with all of the firearm regs.
Tool - got it, thanks for the reminder.

I'm not overly concerned about the bears to be honest, I think they are probably just as scared of me as I am them and I've never seen one. I have however seen one or two coyotes within about 200 metres. One of them stood so tall I thought it might even be a coywolf. Biggest coyote I've ever seen anyhow.

Generally I walk mostly on streets, though there is a forest on each side and not too many homes on the one street which is where I've seen them. Sometimes I will take a trail which is an old railway track that they ripped up and converted to a long trail - and that always is running through the forest with few to no houses on either side usually.

I think if I were to walk my property in the bush, I'd probably bring my shotgun. I see a rifle as problematic with how far the round could travel if I were nervous and missed...and I would be nervous. Whereas a 12G with buck or slugs should do an admirable job on discouraging a bear I'd imagine. Or a coyote.

But I can't exactly bring my shotgun on the rail trail and expect not to have a visit from many police since it is public property.
Appreciate 0