05-08-2020, 03:45 PM   #665
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post

I'm really wavering on selling a decent portion of my S&P 500 index funds and Berk Class B in my Roth, traditional IRA, and 401K and just holding it as cash. I wouldn't touch anything in my brokerage due to cap gains. These sales would represent about 15% of my total portfolio. I'm just trying to better manage the bleeding that I think is coming and trying to keep from taking a 40%+ hit like I did in the early 2000s and 2008-2011. Right now my total portfolio is down about 15% from it's peak earlier in the year.

I totally believe in long-term holding for the most part, but what I'm seeing makes no sense and this is a unique situation we're in right now. Am I off my rocker?
Not off your rocker, but if you don’t need the cash, why eat a 15% loss? Especially when it’s only a fraction of your portfolio...

I’d only sell to hedge against losing employment (possible) if the cash would put you in a better place to weather that, or to put it into a safer asset category. But there aren’t a whole lot of options that are appealing right now.
Appreciate 1