Rebound
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F33: The 435i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHudson View Post
How in the world is this free when it's more expensive than traditional energy sources?
I am sorry but I believe you facts are wrong. That or go edit the wiki with sources to back up your claims. It is free basically once it is installed. VERY low O&M cost unlike traditional coal, gas, or nuclear. It cheaper than many other forms of traditional energy generation. LCOE of solar is excellent compared to traditional:

https://www.utilitydive.com/news/an-...-solar/529373/

https://www.energy.gov/eere/solar/ar...-goal-achieved

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_o...city_by_source

6 cents per kilowatt-hour for solar, which continues to drop year over year.

Lazard (2018)
In November, 2018, Lazard found that not only are utility-scale solar and wind cheaper than fossil fuels, "[i]n some scenarios, alternative energy costs have decreased to the point that they are now at or below the marginal cost of conventional generation." Overall, Lazard found "The low end levelized cost of onshore wind-generated energy is $29/MWh, compared to an average illustrative marginal cost of $36/MWh for coal. The levelized cost of utility-scale solar is nearly identical to the illustrative marginal cost of coal, at $36/MWh. This comparison is accentuated when subsidizing onshore wind and solar, which results in levelized costs of energy of $14/MWh and $32/MWh, respectively. ... The mean levelized cost of energy of utility-scale PV technologies is down approximately 13% from last year and the mean levelized cost of energy of onshore wind has declined almost 7%."[36]

Bloomberg (2018)
Bloomberg New Energy Finance estimates a "global LCOE for onshore wind [of] $55 per megawatt-hour, down 18% from the first six months of [2017], while the equivalent for solar PV without tracking systems is $70 per MWh, also down 18%." Bloomberg does not provide its global public LCOEs for fossil fuels, but it notes in India they are significantly more expensive: "BNEF is now showing benchmark LCOEs for onshore wind of just $39 per MWh, down 46% on a year ago, and for solar PV at $41, down 45%. By comparison, coal comes in at $68 per MWh, and combined-cycle gas at $93." [37][38]

IRENA (2018)
The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) released a study based on comprehensive international datasets in January 2018 which projects the fall by 2020 of the kilowatt cost of electricity from utility scale renewable projects such as onshore wind farms to a point equal or below that of electricity from conventional sources.[39]

Banks (2018)
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) says that "renewables are now cheapest energy source", elaborating: "the Bank believes that renewable energy markets in many of the countries where it invests have reached a stage where the introduction of competitive auctions will lead both to a steep drop in electricity prices and an increase in investment." [40] The World Bank (World Bank) President Jim Yong Kim agreed on 10 October 2018: "We are required by our by-laws to go with the lowest cost option, and renewables have now come below the cost of [fossil fuels]." [41]

I'm a conservative republican but alternative energy is the future. We still are going to need oil for plastics etc. The sooner we stop pumping it out of the ground and saving it the better. let the rest of the world use up their oil while we save ours.

"My grandfather rode a camel, my father rode a camel, I drive a Mercedes, my son drives a Land Rover, his son will drive a Land Rover, but his son will ride a camel",[5] reflected his concern that Dubai's oil, which was discovered in 1966 and which began production in 1969, would run out within a few generations.
We could use more conservative Republicans like you.

Our need for oil won't stop — if all cars are electric, we still have jet aircraft and incalculable amounts of infrastructure (trillions of dollars worth?) which needs petroleum long into the future. There isn't any reasonable plan for electric airliners; as far as I know, it's impossible with today's technology and with the technology of the foreseeable future. Maybe in fifty years.
Appreciate 1
Torgus3779.00