View Single Post
      03-05-2019, 11:12 AM   #33
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

IMO the big problem is the M6 is really old. It's essentially an F10 that dropped in 2010. The F10 M5 weighed 200 lbs more than the e60 and didn't really have the power to compensate. It also lost the engine sound and as the 'piped in' thing that gives it bad PR. Meanwhile the new M5 chassis is impressive as it lost enough weight to add AWD, 6 inches and stay the same weight as the e60. It also launched the new design language. The M6 still looks like an e60 to my eye (good thing imo) but to the average Joe it looks old.

Lastly the 6 series is currently rebranded as the 8 series making 6 series not only visually older but out of production.

Just a perfect storm for depreciation. Last of the old design language, last of the old engine, last of the old heavy chassis, last of the name.

Really, being a 4 door makes the 6 compete with the 5 series and you'd be crazy to buy the ancient 10 year old M6 GC when the same year M5 is miles better and brand new.

For me? I'll be enjoying switching my M5 out for an M6 when the depreciation hits you boys a bit harder.

Of course, depreciation is a meme. If you keep your car you still have $100k performance and features and you're only getting a marginal improvement by buying a new one. Do you really think 200 lbs weight loss for a new M8 and a digital dash are worth all the depreciation you'll absorb selling the M6 and getting an M8?

You can buy and blow up a fleet of 6 e60 M5s due to rod bearings before you've caught up to the money on the new M5.

I think e60 owners can finally justify an upgrade to the AWD M5 but i also think the F06 owners will want to see much better than that to warrant selling.
Appreciate 2
mgmarsh39253.00
Flying Ace4984.50