06-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
ATSR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1977 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Everyone is entitled to an opinion of course.

I don't expect a 4200 lbs. car to feel like sports car. It just needs to be nimble for its size, and of course it should still be fast.

I consider my E93 a blast to drive, and despite the low revving engine in the new M vehicles, I bet they are a hoot to drive too. At least for me they would be.

Cheers.
I have no doubt that it would be fun to drive in the same way that any +500hp car would be, but my main problem with this car is that it keeps moving farther away from what an M car should be (or used to be).

The reason why I fell in love with BMW M cars was due to the level of performance, daily driver usability, and more importantly, a level of driver involvement usually reserved for much more expensive pure sports cars.

Unfortunately this latest generation of M cars (new M5, M6, X5M, X6M) seem to have forgotten that key characteristic and therefore are moving away from what made them so brilliant for so many years.

As eisenb11 said in his post above, it seems that the marketing department is having too much influence in the decisions being made at BMW M.

I really hope that the upcoming M3 breaks drastically away from this trend, but something tells me that it won't.
Appreciate 0