10-19-2019, 06:17 AM   #6
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Frupal, I have casually looked at a number of threads on using Bimmercode, but none have been a "Bimmercode for dummies" thread. Would you mind posting such a thread? For example, in another thread I saw you post a long list of OBD adapters that work. But which one did you get? Why? And what exactly do I/we need? Did you download it from the apple store to an iPhone or what? Some of us are capable of following instructions, but our eyes glaze over at the level of "download Bimmercode and get a dongle thing." That is what most threads amount to.
I downloaded the app Bimmercode from the apple App Store, and then paid the $31.99 for the full version (in App purchase). Then I googled bimmercode and found this

https://bimmercode.app/adapters/

I went for the Veepeak BLE adaptor because it was only about $30.00. I use Apple exclusively so I did it all with my iPhone. The App comes with connection instructions built right in and they are fairly straight forward. One thing I screwed up the first time was that I forgot to turn off the car’s Bluetooth. Simple: Settings - Telephone - click the Bluetooth box! And then I also forgot to put my phone in airplane mode. Also, bimmercode makes a backup of your original coding as soon as you open a ‘module’ so if you don’t like the changes - or you lose the connection - it’s very simple to restore to the factory settling.

I was a little intimidated by the word ‘coding’ thinking that I’d end up buried in a pile of 0s and 1s and never find my way out, but this is simple and straight forward. The thing that confused me a bit was the labeling of the ECUs. But I surmised that these were simply locations of them. I think.

I really like all of the changes I made, and they’ve made my car much more livable. Auto mirrors, no seat belt or door chimes, warmer seat heaters, Auto Unlock! (Doors now open when I shut off the engine, eliminating the double door handle pull), Auto shut off (when I open the door, the iDrive shuts down now. I always hated having to push the start button a second time). Oh! And no more ‘legal’ I don’t have to hit ‘confirm’ every time I start her.

Happy Motoring!
Appreciate 0