View Single Post
      02-26-2021, 09:30 AM   #73
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I disagree on the "any category". EV's are better than ICE when it comes to cost to fuel, maintenance, repair (should be), ease of daily use (if we bought one it would 100% be fueled at home and we wouldn't miss the gas station "experience") and reduced CO2. Like every other vehicle, none of them win in all categories. We don't have an SUV and both of my cars are RWD (wife's FWD) even though a small part of the time I would like an SUV and AWD.

There is no sports that will match a Honda Fit in most categories and the "better" car is an potential buyers decision and depends on what is important to you.

With the "what will I be able to fix in my garage" - car makers estimate the hours to build an EV are 30% less, before you worry about what you can fix you have to figure out what you expect will break and the number of components and complexity of what it going on is drastically reduced. How many sensors and moving parts are on a typical ICE today? The battery is the only thing that worries me at all long term. Electric motors, driving the wheels are extremely reliable and removing the transmission greatly helps overall.

There are a lot of things I don't like about EV's but long term reliability isn't one of them.
I guess my point is you'll for the most part, an electric car will be the more compromised in one way or another compared to ICE in my humble opinion. For me personally, I cannot envision an electric car being my only vehicle (whether it's because not enough charging network, range, fun to drive ... i.e I prefer 3 pedals to have fun, noise ect). I do agree with you regarding ease of use, but for me personally, an electric car makes sense as a second car with the technology we have.

I completely agree that EV's have less moving parts, therefore it should be more reliable. But I know how to change oxygen sensors, do oil changes, have done rod bearings, replaced throttle actuators ect ect... I for one, would have no idea what to do if a car refuses to charge, or will not eject the charging chord, or if a module goes bad on an EV.

Just like modern/complicated ICE cars, it's not necessarily the mechanical stuff that scares me long term, it's the electrical aspect.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00