Drives: F80 M3

Post Autoblog Reviews 2012 6-series Coupe

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Autoblog Reviews 2012 6-series Coupe
COMMENTS
Name:  640i.jpg
Views: 6725
Size:  154.9 KB

Autoblog has posted its first drive review of the 2012 6-series coupe. Although the article is a bit difficult to follow, below are some of its highlights:

Quote:
Just considering sheer finish and accommodation for four real-sized adults, this new 2+2 BMW fairly well beats the Jaguar XK, Audi S5, and Mercedes E-Class Coupe – with or without a metal roof.
Quote:
Granted, all the V8s we care to talk about here feel more like rumbling rebels of the road, but this inline powerplant from BMW is arguably the best civilian tune six in a premium passenger car. In this 6 Series, taking all things emotive and practical into account, the inline six is a better choice than the pretty good 4.4 biturbo V8.
Quote:
We worked this 640i Coupe on the autobahn and on the many squeaky clean and manicured twisting two-lanes southeast of Munich where the low hills start to rumple up toward the Bavarian and Austrian Alps. Here, the 640i's 3.0-liter six with its hardworking twin-scroll turbo and Valvetronic proved to be a great driver according to our right foot, hands on the wheel and the ol' inner ear bone. Bundle its 316 horses (peaking between 5,800 and 6,000 rpm) and the 332 pound-feet of torque (1,300 to 4,500 rpm) with BMW's latest iteration of Driving Dynamics Control, optional Integral Active Steering ($1,750) and active roll stabilization ($2,000), and you've got a recipe for good times. The last 6 Series was absolutely never this polished over the road – at least not without an M logo on its decklid. Sitting still, the lock-to-lock of the Servotronic power steering is just 2.0 turns, so the maneuverability of this big 2+2 is actually pretty damned good in tight quarters.
Quote:
Everything but Comfort+ made our day. In this weird setting that's available only when one opts for both Electronic Damper Control and Adaptive Drive, any and all feedback goes away, leaving the driver on a plush, fluffed pillow with vague steering feel.
Quote:
Our vote in this new 6 Series range is clearly for this least expensive 640i Coupe, though one with a cloth roof will be a good call, too. It is the only model in this pricey lead-with-your-heart segment where four adults can feel properly treated while carrying practically anything they need for an easy weekend thanks to the well arranged 16.3 cubic feet of space.
Catch the full review at Autoblog

Appreciate 0