View Single Post
      10-14-2023, 09:32 AM   #1
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Preventative Maintenance (rod bearings, etc.)

Howdy, folks. I'm driving a '13 M6 that presently has 57K miles on it. I've been thinking about pre-emptively changing the rod bearings and perhaps any other items that tend to fail on this car with a mind to long-term ownership.

I understand there are two methods, one where the suspension only is removed and the work is done from the bottom. The other more extensive method is where the entire motor is removed, which also presents the opportunity to add forged internals with a mind to tuning up the car. Do I have that right?

Can some of you opine on what the cost of each would be? If you advocate for adding forged internals with a mind to tuning up the car, what performance improvements might there be in a real-world performance sense? IOW, to what degree would 0-60 and 1/4 mile times improve? And the real question... although I live not too far from Pocono Raceway and have entertained the thought of tracking the car, if I'm not intending to do that regularly, would these mods present anything other than 'bragging rights' that would justify the extra expense?

Part 'B' of this question relates to what other items on the car, like suspension parts or engine peripherals (to replace aging plastic parts or upgrading springs and/or struts), are targets for replacement or improvement, and whether they might not be a better investment for me than forged internals. I find a bit of 'drift' in the car during *ahem* "spirited" driving which is a bit alarming from time to time and I plan on holding on to the car for a while, so I'm just looking down the road for the best ROI on my investment.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1