View Single Post
      07-05-2020, 06:30 PM   #12
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

We're not in FL, but we're outside the city limits in a township. We pay considerably lower real estate taxes than those in town, but we have a volunteer fire dept, sheriff instead of police dept, septic instead of town sewerage, and virtually no ordinances at all. That last one took a while to adjust to and even now I hate it sometimes. If a neighbor decides to throw a loud party all night, there is nothing to stop him. Several of my neighbors regularly take up target practice in their yards with their pistols/rifles almost daily. Like living next door to a gun range. My nephew lives on the city limit of Melbourne, FL and the land behind him is unincorporated. He gets the gunfire all the time as well, he says. Just one of those things.

Still, we're literally minutes out of town and there is a decent hospital system here. It's mostly quiet and we have a wooded acre of land around us. Traffic in this area in general is non-existent. That's one thing I could never go back to. I'll take the trade-off in shopping and entertainment to not have to deal with traffic every day. There are decent stores and restaurants an hour north of here, so that works for us. I can ride my bike for miles near my house and not have to worry too much about traffic. Although the oil-and-chip "paving" every summer can screw that up quickly.

That house you found on Zillow looks sweet, though. I'd love to have a pool and lanai like that here.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1