View Single Post
      05-15-2020, 09:03 AM   #12
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
If it was my money, I would buy Amazon Fire Tablets at more than half the price. They have front/rear 2MP cameras, and a native Zoom app free in the Amazon App store.

I have them all over my house, since the tablet is cheaper than a 7" Raspberry Pi LCD screen. I also bought an 8" one to run the Android AlfaOBD scan tool software, and put it in one of these kid's ethafoam cases with a folding handle:

Today's prices are their regular $49/$89/$149 for the 7"/8"/10" Fire tablets. Black Friday and Prime Day sees them drop to $29/$49/$99, and they do drop the price for every "Hallmark" holiday and maybe even for Memorial Day. I'm in another forum where many people stock up and save when these are on sale, because they make great displays for weather station data and home automation dashboards.

The Fire Tablets are popular among people with kids because of their price, and supposedly have great child locks built-in so that Junior doesn't order a doll house on your Amazon account.

The only pitfall is that they are running an Amazon-customized version of Android, with no access to the Google Play store. There are instructions all over the web for side-loading the Google stuff onto most models, if you find yourself needing something that's not in Amazon's own App Store.

The issue with the device needing to be connected to an Amazon account is still there, the same as a Google account on a Chromebook. You can't beat the price, though.....
M_Six16963.50