Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
My plasma finally took a shit today so I called an industry friend and arranged for him to bring over a Sony X950H this week.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x950h
What, - no OLED?

That's a nice TV and the X1 processor is awesome. Based on your prior feedback, I'm assuming you pass through sound to a receiver? If so, please let me know if you experience any issues with Sony's Bravia Sync (CEC control). Mine is somewhat unreliable (passing through to a Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar) but I can't tell yet if it is the TV, the soundbar, or my DISH Hopper...
I have no issues with sound (yet) when playing movies from my Samsung 4K player, which is connected via HDMI in to the TV.

PS: Yes - I ordered a new set of HDMI cables based on the latest standards when I hooked everything up, including from the eARC of the TV into the eARC to the soundbar.
One of the main reasons I went with the X950H series is because it utilizes Sony's best "X1 Ultimate" processor instead of the older "X1." I've put both through their paces and the better processor definitely does a better job, especially with motion handling I'm especially sensitive to.

As a card-carrying audiophile, I'm definitely NOT using TV speakers. Actually, because I'm stuck watching TV in the bedroom until the new display show up, I brought one of my subwoofers into the bedroom to complement the stereo setup in there. It's bad enough that I'm not using a proper surround system, but I had to at least bring a sub in there.

The whole problem with ARC/eARC is it demands we activate CEC. That's an issue for the automation guys because they don't want CEC commands messing up their programming. Traditionally, I've mostly used external sources instead of smart TV apps, but I'm obviously going to experiment with using the TV as a source with eARC. The big question is my Anthem MRX1120 receiver going to utilize eARC. I'm very pessimistic so I'm likely to keep streaming from my Apple TV into the receiver; and using the X950H just as a display.