Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Ah yes!!

A fire hazard to be sure! We built airplanes, cars, and don't forget N and O Gauge trains. I loved those.

And Lego. Not the prebuilt BS they have now. I mean 2000 piece kits and nothing but your imagination. I'd build space fleets, moon bases, and a million other things!
Same here; started with a big generic parts kit. Then I was given several kits that built one thing or another, but I'm pretty sure I never built any of those things; I dumped them all into a big box with the first kit and built whatever entered my imagination.

I was fascinated by big trucks but Lego didn't have any dual wheels, so I pulled the axle pins out of some wheels and carefully epoxied them to the outside of some other wheels that I'd filed most of the "studs" off of...and then turned the axle blocks 90 degrees and stuck them in from the sides. Voila, dual wheels.

I used some train hitch recievers as fifth wheels on the frame of a truck, and I stuck the train wheels to the bottom of trailers so their axles pointed downward and served as fifth-wheel pins; this became a coupling system for a semi tractor and trailer. That wasn't in any kit, anywhere. I wanted to build a semi, so I figured out a way to do it.

Adapt, transcend, innovate, and excel. That's how I learned. I fully credit those years, those experiences, with my proven capability and tenacity as a builder, tinkerer, and problem-solver.
cmyx6go15762.50