View Single Post
      03-12-2020, 09:25 PM   #20
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
Warm up behavior, dont move until completion of idle and keep it under 3500rpm until warm right?

What is bearing clearance?
For warming up, I have been conditioned from the M3 ownership days to just keep it under 3000 RPMs until oil reaches clos to 200°. Regarding idling, The quickest way to get the oil up the temperature is to actually drive the car. Idling the car causes strain on the cooling systems of the car because there's no air flow.

Bearing tolerance is not in your control. It's the overall design of the bearing and the amount of clearance that has to allow oil flow for lubrication. A theory of why the S65 and s85 motors all had premature bearing wear was that BMW designed it with very tight tolerances. And it was difficult to get a proper oil that provides good flow during the cold startup stage and also provide proper lubrication for the higher temperature requirements of a high revving engine. They designed the TWS 1060 oil, which was basically a compromised oil or high performance driving, but most of the owners were street driving the car anyways.

Many owners ended up using 0-40 for street cars. I'm not surprised that our M cars uses the same grade as non-M motors now.

I think if you're actually taking the car to a track, You're going to need a heavier grade oil. But warm up is even more important with those type of oils. One downside of using the current dealership oil is just the burn rate. Which in my opinion is acceptable given all the compromises the car has to have.

Just to give you an idea what I'm talking about, Google pictures or articles or videos of the oil used for formula 1 race motors. I heard that those oil had to be heated separately outside of the car and then injected into the motor right prior to starting up the car. Basically those oils are so much less viscous at low temperatures that it would damage the motor if it was actually started in the car.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 03-12-2020 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 0