05-04-2021, 04:26 PM   #7
Msparta
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMW View Post
Hi

The rubber gasket/ seal around the rear windshield on my 650i (MY14) deteriorated which is normal givin age of the car. I used to replace this exact part on my previous BMWs with no issues and was straight forward.

To my surprise, when I looked into getting a new seal I was informed by the dealer that it's part of the rear windshield??? Ie in order to replace it, you guessed it, the entire glass has to be replaced. What on earth were BMW engineers smoking when they did this?

Just wondering if someone managed to get around this issue? I'm not gonna replace a perfectly good part to fix this. Any retrofit out there?

Thanks
Yeah I have an f06 m6 grand coupe comp and recently replaced the seal around the front windshield glass however once I looked into the rear seal it also hit me that it was not a part which could be replaced without special ordering the full rear glass which includes the seal… really bad situation for all of us since these rubber seals are very bad quality when compared to other year and models … in short they fall apart prematurely… it starts with cracks then they just fall apart…

Do share your full journey ok this repair / replacement I have it on my list of todo as well…

As for the 3rd bar break light that has an open recall and I suspect that allows moisture and water vapor into our rigs causing leather cracking and damage however there may be other areas where vapor and moisture is seeping into our interior… any more intel from other members please share this is a great and delicate topic!
Appreciate 0