08-19-2021, 09:11 AM   #538
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I am curious to see what the specs for the new STi are going to be. Hopefully they will really be able to wring some good power out of the FA24 while keeping the weight reasonable.
I'm not expecting much. I'd like to see 360/360, but in reality I think it's going to be closer to 340hp. Either way, from the WRX footage so far, the new car looks cheap in ways that I don't think Subaru can fix with a refresh. For example, the stamped looking fender flares as opposed to actual real flares on the current and 08-14 gen. The new one just looks like they're bent into shape with a dinky little 4 inch vent on the fronts. Looks terrible and cheap, and I'm not sure Subaru has it in them to do the refresh that they did halfway through the 08-14 generation. They're a different company now.

To be fair, I wasn't really a fan of the current generation launch WRX/STI, but the refresh really got me to appreciate and love the design so much so that I bought a 2020 STI in December. Luckily, I have the budget to mod and fix it if something blows, but I understand that's not what everyone is looking for for that kind of money.

But I've since reoriented my mindset from the car having a dinosaur of an engine to realizing that it's a really good car for what it is with 20+ years of aftermarket support to get it to where I want it to be, and once I thought of it that way, the car makes way more sense, and is still more engaging of an experience than almost any new car you can buy anywhere near its price point because it hasn't really changed in so long. I'm sure the new STI will be quicker and post better lap times, but I'm not so convinced it'll be "better" subjectively speaking.