04-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixteenM6 View Post
... Being new to the M6 I don't even know if the battery is AGM or not, I believe it is. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixteenM6 View Post
I do have a batteryMinder 2012 ... But it is not made for AGM batteries. Is the M6 battery AGM? I wonder if it will cause any problems if I connect the batteryMinder to the M6's jump start posts under the hood.
Yes...all modern BMW automobiles use an AGM battery. The use of an AGM battery came around the same time BMW implemented the IBS (intelligent battery sensor).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
...why would one need a battery charger? I understand sometimes you might experience excessive battery discharge if the car is not driven for months - is this the scenario here? Or are you guys experiencing battery discharge under normal conditions and with reasonably regular use?

...I’ve never experienced excessive discharge, as a matter of fact, even when driving after longer time without action, the stop-start system usually activates after just a couple of min of driving (indication of normal battery charge level). The only situation I have experienced discharge is when using the sound system (non-factory with reasonably high output amps) for an extended period (for instance when detailing) without engine running, but that’s self inflicted (*stupidity)...

So, is there another reason to keep the battery at max charge? Longevity?

Keen to hear your thoughts.
Probably 90% of BMW owners that use a battery tender/maintainer do so because they have periods of time that they don't drive their vehicle. Anytime a battery does go into deep discharge...it is a negative affect on the battery and can cause damage that will eventually shorten the life of the battery.

So keeping a charger connected to the jump start terminals in the engine bay...helps to prevent damage from multiple deep or shallow discharge. There are also a lot of electronics that can be awakened in certain circumstances. For instance, if you have comfort access...anytime a remote fob is within range...it will wake up some of the modules on the communication bus...the CA antennas are receiving info from the remote fob. So if your wife (or you) have the remote on their person and walks past the car parked in the garage...it wakes up and uses power from the battery.

And if you don't lock your car because it's in the garage...if anyone in the house opens a door or the trunk...again, the car wakes up and remains "online" for at least 16 minutes (that's what it used to be) if no other calls are made on that communication bus...then the car goes back to sleep.

Then, if you live in a part of the world that has extreme heat and/or extreme cold...this also can be hard on a battery when parked or being driven and restarted.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 5
BMWM5NYC496.00
jjasonSU194.00
Havy294.00