JayR_e92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 6MT e92 M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR_e92 View Post
Agreed, seems like a pretty good deal. That condition is exactly what I'm looking for. Had a short FaceTime call with the owner last week as well to get a closer look at the paint, in photos is looks near flawless and as another member stated there's got to be more to the story than the photos show. The paint has some small acid rain marks throughout that are only visible up close and under the right lighting but the owner of the dealership did a really good job of showing me on the FaceTime call and capturing for me. Not the biggest deal imo more concerned with dents/scratches and mechanical condition.

Question: is 100-120k considered low mileage on an E46 M3 with only two owners? In your opinion. I realize "low mileage" is relative to opinion I'm just curious what the rest of the community thinks. To me, any e36/46 with under 100k is considered low mileage. And even 100-130ish I consider lower but it's on the verge of not being able to put "low miles" in the title if were me
I would consider something like 50-60k low mileage, but as you said, it's completely subjective.

At 100k, depending on the car's history, it'll need an overhaul, if age hasn't already compromised some of the parts. But keep mind 120k on an E36 engine and E46 are 2 completely different worlds. At 120k, the S54 should have already been bulletproof otherwise you're taking a big gamble (VANOS, rod bearings, timing chain guide...). E36 on the other hand does not require as much work to the engine.
Yep, see that right there is exactly what I battle with and go back in forth in in my mind. If I were to purchase the E 46 M3 that is here locally, it is an '02 and 2 owners and 102,000 miles on the clock. For the year of course this is low mileage but overall it still has 100 K miles on it, the very first thing that would need to be done is rod bearings subframe and Vanos. My only concern is if I do all of that bulletproofing - own the car for a few years and put another 20,000 or 25,000 miles on it and then I want to sell it again will I make most of my money back or is that too high of mileage for me to sell it for close to what I bought it for. It's hard to say because it's hard to predict where the market will be but it's looking strong and especially with that bulletproofing would only help, my only question would be what would buyers think of 125,000 miles if it was still super clean and was bulletproofed. Trying not to base my purchase solely on whether or not I can get a good amount for it later but you do have to consider it at least I like to because it's nice to be able to get most of your money back and have enjoyed a car, that's not always the case but it definitely can be done if you buy the right car.
Titanium silver E46 M3 (OEM project) current
Appreciate 0