01-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #219
Mdrei
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mcars, not badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkei View Post
Why is this a bad thing? If it was called "N Sport Pack", would that make any difference?
It's not, just pointing out the evolution of it.

Quote:
I highlighted the above comment because I have to ask. How do you know this to be true? No one has seen (to my knowledge) any of the next-gen M cars, but assumptions have been made that it won't have the same pedigree of performance. I don't understand.
I am not looking into the future but into the past. Look at the history of the e9x M3, where was the CSL model? Instead of improving the core part "performance", they instead delivered the CRT which was pure marketing (carbon fiber + navi + high end sound).

The e46 M3 had the CSL and the ZCP, which were true performance enhancements addressed to the gear heads.
On the Nurburgring, the e46 CSL was a full 12s faster than the e92 M3 and only 2 secs slower than the mighty e92 GTS. What a shame!

Where was the racing success? The GTS, GT2 and GT4 where all flops compared to the previous generation M3s. The GT2 had 2-3 wins, but they were nowhere in the front rows or even present at the most competitions.

On the opposite, the e46 M3 V8 GTR had to be outlawed, since it was wiping the floor with the Porsches.

Don't get me started on the x5/6M.
So, based on past products I can say that M Motorsport morphed into Marketing Performance. Which is fine also.

Quote:
So the alternative is for BMW to remain true to its heritage even if it leads to bankruptcy (?) Are they to remain a niche company readily available to do our bidding?
You can maintain heritage and still not go bankrupt or be niche. Look at Porsche's biz model, the Porsche brand is extending with all kind of new models. However, the 911 is still the 911 (and it is not a cash cow).

The art of M was to take a potent regular model and turn it into a terrifying track/street machine with the comfort of day-to-day driving and practicality.

BMW decided to cash in on the M brand and destroy the little heritage it had. It followed the AMG and S model. Yeah, they might spit out a real M car (instead of a badge) once in a while, just like the Black Series from MB, but show me the price tag on that.

BTW, I am criticizing BMW because they picked the easy road to better financial results, all while destroying the racing heritage and what M stands for.
Whenever they get the M3 to catch a Porsche in the twistiest, than I will look at it again.

.Mdrei

Last edited by Mdrei; 01-15-2012 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0