05-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #21
anglaslt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: RHD X3 M40i + LHD Brabus B63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
I agree with applying film, but otherwise I think your dealer is seriously misinformed.

There's no way that an organic product like carnauba or even a synthetic can compete with a silica based sealant. Your statement makes the point - with a ceramic coating you won't NEED to wax the car every 'x' weeks. Just rinse, wipe and go. I did mine about this time last year, and it's still going strong.

One thing about the film - I've been told that because of differing (lower) degree of UV that passes through the film, compared to the amount of exposure directly to the paint, you can possibly have shading differences. You know... kina like auto tan lines. I hope to film the whole car this year.
My car was clear wrapped almost from new. when clean it certainly looks good and is completely free of swirl marks and stone chips. I also like that any small scratches will heal themselves.

It cost around £4,000 to wrap the whole car. It seems expensive but I know that's the cost because the previous owner left the invoice for me. If it were to suffer panel damage, no matter how small, it will now be necessary to unwrap the whole panel, repaint and re-wrap.

I'm happy the previous owner had it wrapped but I'm not sure I would do it, especially if the car is garaged. I'd probably go down the ceramic coating route but wrapping might make sense if the car is left outside and regulary gets bird bombed.

As for the tan lines, I don't know and hope not to find out
Appreciate 1