View Single Post
      11-22-2023, 12:57 PM   #1
katkins
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Rims Damaged during storage - thoughts on cause?

Just got our winter tires switched over and immediately noticed all four rims are peeling the and the emblem is popping out. The rims are 7 years old and were by all means not pristine but did not in any way look like this. I luckily had a photo of the car in the garage last winter and the rims were fine. Mechanic stores in a shipping container onsite. He maintains this is normal corrosion from the salt/brine used in this area. He then stated it was our fault for not cleaning the wheels prior to storage. Basically gave us a million excuses as to why this normally occurs over the course of 6 months of storage. Interestingly, they also told us the winters had one more season then took them out and told us they were done. I should have gone to look at them. Combined with the condition of the rims, I am now wondering what happened to the tires.

Has anyone see damage like this or have any thoughts if this was caused by heat and/or moisture in the container? It rained excessively this summer and we did have some hot days.

Lastly, appreciate any thoughts on refurbing these or replacing them.

Thank you.
Attached Images

Last edited by katkins; 11-23-2023 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: Add image
Appreciate 0