View Single Post
      06-08-2016, 08:26 AM   #1
awais_shahid
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 LCI 640d Gran Coupe

Angry Buckled 20" 373M alloy like you've never seen before!

So we all have long known large rims and runflats are not kind to alloy wheels. It doesn't help that the quality of BMW wheels are generally pretty shit (I had 3 cracked alloys replaced on my e92 coupe).

The trouble is there's absolutely no give in the side wall of the tyre, thus all the force is distributed to the rim ultimately leading to it buckling or failing.

So there I am driving along a main road in Manchester, and I drive over a dropped drainage grid in the middle of the road at around 30-35mph...thud felt like my tyre had exploded! It caused the wheel to deform with a flat edge.

You'd think I would have learnt my lesson, but 2 days later I was driving along the same road and completely forgot about the grid....thud...again!

Needless to say the rim is completely f*cked now and I took it to the dealer who simply said warranty won't touch it and I'll need to claim from the local council. I think it is poor wheel quality which has led to it failing so badly, has anybody else had a similar issue?

Fortunately I found a 2015 refurbished wheel on ebay for £260 delivered!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0