09-28-2018, 02:22 AM   #15
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
What’s wrong with 98 octane? In Germany, the home country of M6, you only get 100 octane at some selected stations - for the cost of 2-3 times 98 octane. As far as I’m aware, these engines are meant to run on 98. And American octane rating 93 is not the same as European... As per your note, US 93 is similar to European/ international 98... Stay away from octane boosters, they may have worked at the time of carburettors, but I would never put that stuff into my M6!
Yes, performance cars or high performance cars are running with 98octane. Shell sells racing fuel 100 and ARAL sells 102 the same as the DTM are using. And yes you feel a difference. The knocking is much less. Ok additional I have a tune so 98 is the lowest octane I can use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
There is no easy or cheap way of getting consistent high octane with boosters. The best way is to buy high octane race fuel at select stations. https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuel-finder or to pump it yourself http://www.racefuel.com/vp-ms109-rac...el-101-octane/

I don't know where you live, but Sunoco sells 100 octane at select stations (under lock and key). When you get there, just make sure you pull your pants down, and grab your ankles...

IMO, high octane on a stock street driven M6 is overkill. And I can ensure you will not feel the difference. Open your wallet (expect $150 for a full tank) and see for yourself.
I disagree, as mentioned above you feel a difference. Not gaining HP but the engine runs smoother and maybe the throttle response is little better. And yes you pay for it. ~140$

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
You can most def. feel a difference. Even 4 gallons of E85 mixed with 91oct makes a big difference in how the car pulls
yes.+1
Appreciate 0