Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Yes the MK6 Jetta and NMS Passat were the death of what the brand stood for in the US. While these models did increase North American sales, like you said, they had some very obvious and atrocious cost cutting, taking VW down from a once "Premium" brand to now "Mainstream." And despite their sales increases, these were only temporary.

During the "Voltswagen" scandal, an interesting article from Road and Track came out, analyzing how VW has failed to understand the US market, claiming, "VW has seemingly tried everything to crack the U.S. market—except building a segment-leading car." Overall it discusses the ups and downs (before and after Dieselgate) as well as how VW's strives towards US sales has both positively and negatively effected them, along with their introduction of the iD4. Overall, I found many of their points made easily agreeable and interesting.

Forget "Voltswagen." VW's Real Problem Is Misunderstanding the U.S. Market.
Wait, what? Volkswagen (cough cough, the "Peoples Car") was a premium brand? When exactly.

Serious question.
More premium in the realm of mainstream vehicles. Not the level of luxury, but they weren't bargains for their classes, especially the Toureg. The Passat and Jetta were typically pricier and more premium in their feel and quality compared to the rest of the class, hence when I say "premium" its more equivalent to the likes of say, Buick, something a little better than mainstream, but not luxury.

VW's Passat started at $23k and could be optioned to $37k… in 2008. That's the same starting price as today's cheaper built and quality NMS Passat.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...ark-in-the-us/
Efthreeoh17205.00