01-17-2022, 07:16 PM   #6
NeoBMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 640GC M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
The valve cover on that engine frequently cracks. But did the place explain to you why they needed to replace it? Any place that says they want $1,300 from me but does not explain why is not a place I am going to pay anything. As for the $700, I don't know if that is a lot or not for that job since I would do it myself, but if a $700 repair on such a sophisticated car earns a "!" from you then you might be in for a rough road ahead. When I said above that "neither are huge expenses" I did not consider $700 huge for somebody who cannot DIY on a $100k car.
Appreciate your input. So $700 is not a big deal for me but I’m always cautious to let go of my hard earned money, and yes very well aware of the cost of owing a BMW. I had few before and just got the ‘22 X4 for the wife last month

In any case, moving forward with the valve cover replacement. The tech indicated that he can fix the gasket but he has seen too many N55 coming back since the part is made of plastic as opposed to the current aluminium replacement. Moving with my extended warranty replacement seems to be the best option.
Appreciate 0