02-26-2021, 09:29 AM   #9
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Not sure how you went from minivans to M3's but I'm gonna assume what you are looking for is an SUV/Wagon for daily driving needs as well as decent reliability and features. A little unsure of size as you go from 3-series to 4Runner to Minivan, but I'll assume you are looking for Compact to Mid-Size.

I think the 4Runner is too much overlap with the LC plus buying a new or slightly used 4Runner is pretty much buying a 15-year old car.

My recommendations:

New Rav4/Highlander - Gas, Hybrid, or PHEV new Rav4 and Highlander is really nice. It won't excite you but it also will be dead reliable, and give you piece of mind.

New Mazda CX-5/9 - Some of the best vehicles on sale are from Mazda. Premium interiors, athletic handling and feel, as well as great reliability and decent resale, recently named the #1 Brand in reliability as well as overall brand by CR.

Used Lexus - Piece of mind with some luxury, terrible infotainment though.

If you are willing to take some reliability risks, the S212 E-Class Wagon is the best wagon for the job. Incredibly spacious and practical while still very luxurious, but it is German, so expect expensive maintenance compared to the Japanese.
I can understand the confusion. That was one of those posts that was typed up in between phone calls, so I apologize for jumping around. The skinny of it is I think we need an SUV.

I'm glad you also see the overlap. I push towards it because the depreciation is so low and the reliability is so high. Something I have come to love with my Land Cruiser.

Great recommendations. The Highlander has been on our list (0% financing right now, too). Cool factor goes out the window, but pragmatism may prevail.

Interesting to hear the CX recommendation. I've always had the assumption that they were unreliable and had the depreciation of a rock in water. Good to hear they've turned it around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bngcruiser View Post
I will second the Rav4/Highlander, you can buy these new with incredible financing deals currently (with really good maintenance packages) ..Toyota used market is incredibly competitive, depreciation is less for Toyota SUV's than most others .. and I will also second the New Mazda CX-5/9 .. dependable and you get a ton for your money.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
As an owner of a Tacoma TRD Offroad, make sure she enjoys the ride of the TRD Offroad/Pro. The Bilstein shocks on my Offroad are pretty rough. Much better than when I first bought the truck, but if I was to do it all over again, I would have gotten a different model with more street compliant shocks.

That being said, if you are in FL based on your location description, not sure why a 4Runner appeals to you when you have a Land Cruiser already. Land Cruisers are pretty bullet proof already so I would just drive that.

As for me, with any amount of kids, if I was to buy a new SUV, 3 rows of seats with 2nd row Captain's chairs would be at the top of my priority list. Being able to have one parent in back especially in the baby's first 12 months is so incredibly useful. And 2nd row Captain's chairs never become unpractical.

I get the not wanting a minivan thing. My wife refuses to drive one as well, even though for what they are, there is no better car that does what they do, not even close. But there are other options like the RX350L with 2nd row Captains and the GM SUV trio. The shorter models like the Tahoe are actually pretty easy to maneuver around, and the more recent model years have pretty much any feature you'd want in a modern car.
Great comments on the Bilsteins. If we went the Pro route, we would be buying a 2018 more than likely (Bilstein). Can't justify the cost of the newer ones (Fox shocks which are apparently a big improvement in ride quality).

The Land Cruiser isn't a real option for her to use. It is bullet proof, no doubt, but I've done quite a bit to it. Not to say she can't drive it, but lifted, 35 mud terrains, winch, sliders, drawer system, Scheelman seats...you get the picture. It's the exploration vehicle. While comfortable for what it is, it's a dedicated toy.

Also great comment on the captains chairs. I hadn't even considered that! That alone may be shifting some focus towards the GM lineup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
You say this is your wife's car and then you talk about what you like and want in a car. It is a good thing that Florida is not a community property state!

What does SHE like in a car? Apparently, from your one reference, she likes your M3 so she may be looking for something sporty and you want to put her in a box.

Remember that old saying: happy wife, happy life.
In all honesty, while I'm buying it for her, she also gets that I'll be driving it a lot. While I buy it with the intention for her, she's going to treat it as if it's my car that she gets to drive. The M3 comment was more to appease me, but I know she would prefer an SUV. While she liked my M3, she loves the Grand Cherokee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
4Runners are quite a bit smaller on the inside than a Grand Cherokee, not that it can't fit two adults and two kids, but it will be more cramped if either of you are tall. Ride will be harsher due to BOF vs unibody, but if you are into offroading it hard to beat and it will hold it's value very well.

At $40k you have a lot of SUV options, off lease X5s and GLEs, upper trim Explorers. I'd say check out the Telluride & Palisade but they for over MSRP if you can even find them.

My wife has an Explorer Sport with the 3.5 ecoboost and loves it. We haven't had any big issues. We have two small kids that are both in rear-facing seats still, and two big dogs and found it to be an acceptable size even for a mid-size SUV.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChenz View Post
I'll vote RAV4 hybrid or highlander hybrid. The gas ones are very fuel efficient as well in case you don't want to go the hybrid route. Especially if she's working from home.

Minivans are hands down the best for kids and long distance travelling but I assume you'll blow your brains out (like I would) before ever getting one LOL. Captains chairs in the middle row are a must IMO.
Another vote for the captains chairs. This is our first kid, so this is all new to us. I hadn't even considered it, but it certainly makes sense. Her sister has whatever the biggest newer Tahoe is and loves it.

I'm convinced if we pull the minivan trigger, she'll be locked in to three kids. Don't think I'm prepared for that...
Appreciate 0