09-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #35
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
That and genuinely shops that want to sell a new tire and make money. Those are the ones. Like I went to one. I drove less than 800 yards under 40 mph to get there when there was a screw in the tire but the shop was "no it's illegal to repair sir." So why wouldn't they? Someone just wants to get home right? Suddenly the mark up of the tire is higher than elsewhere and it's "dangerous" to leave. That kind of stuff. People profiting from someone's misery.
A lot of time it depends on the type of store. Chains that have rules set at a corporate level will often not allow them to repair runflats because of liability issues and the inability to control all of the possible things that the customer might say regardless of whether true or not. The "you can fix a runflat if the customer says "X"" is impossible to enforce, better to just say not to do it. I don't at all believe it is illegal to fix it.

Not too long ago I tried to get 2 different large tire stores to patch my wife's Acura tire and both said they wouldn't as the tires were over 5 years old. I took it to an independent and he recommended we get new tires and then fixed it. Within 3 months we replaced all 4 tires (serious doubts it mattered in our climate) but I didn't want to do it that day and thought the liability should have been on us. It's their store and they are welcome to have whatever rules they want to have.