View Single Post
      05-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #45
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I don't know about Ferraris, but the average car price in 1970 according to Google was around $23k in todays money. Average car today is around $36k. So it has gone up, but also a lot more tech and what not in cars.

I also wonder how much of that higher average is just because people choose to buy more expensive cars. I mean around here BMWs and Mercedes are like corollas. Was everyone in 1970 driving around in BMWs and Mercedes?
Good points. Wonder if we can find data for the median car.

Another way to think about it is if you want a basic A to B car with air conditioning, good gas mileage, low (relative) maintenance costs, and good reliability, how much would such a car cost in 1970 versus right now?

Right now I'm basically describing a used Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla.

It's hard to do this comparison directly because suppose the typical Econo-box that I'm describing lasted, on average, 100,000 miles before becoming prohibitively expensive to fix (and therefore unusable).

Now suppose a 2010 Honda Civic can last till 175,000 miles. It's reasonable then to compare a used 2010 Honda Civic with 75,000 miles to a brand new Econo-box of the 1970s.
Appreciate 1