View Single Post
      07-16-2018, 11:28 AM   #10
Jerinoid
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 530xiT Wagon

2013 650i xDrive. Currently at 31,850 miles (but out of warranty - past date). What I've found: (1) The batteries don't last because the car is always "on" under an electrical load (even when parked) and something is draining it - BMW knows this and replaced my battery twice under warranty. Expect to pay ~$350.00 every 2-to-3 years for a new battery. (2) Even the N63tu's still consume oil. Mine drinks a quart about every 1,250 miles. BMW calls this "normal consumption", and I have come to accept it. I figure since I'm putting so much oil into it, I'll just start only changing the filter every 10,000 miles (3) The Turbos-in-the-VEE make this thing run extremely HOT and wears out components quickly - so far I've had a crankcase ventilation line replaced, 2 fuel injectors, and 1 ignition coil - all under warranty. I intend to do a full coil and spark plug refresh myself at 35,000 miles, and then again after another 35,000 miles cause that's about how long they seem to last before you start getting "Drivetrain Malfunction" message and codes. These are generally misfires from failing coils that put the car in limp mode, then kind of fix themselves, but continue to recur until replaced. (4) These cars come with RUN-FLAT tires, which (a) are very expensive (~$500.00 each) to replace and (b) there is NO spare tire. I can't wait til my 2nd set (c -they only last about 25k miles) wears out so I can get normal tires and add a spare in trunk.

Other than that, the car is a dream and I love it. There's nothing else in it's class on the road IMHO. Don't let this stuff scare you - it's all kind of "normal" maintenance for this high-end of a vehicle. If you can't accept that, then buy something else - is how I feel about it. A lot of people complain about it, but BMW builds these cars to be leased for 2-3 years and survive their warranties. If you have a little bit of car sense and can do basic work on them yourself, then the ones that are well kept are the biggest bargain on the road as a used car at 4 years and 50000 miles.

Last edited by Jerinoid; 07-16-2018 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
V8LIFE26.00