04-13-2019, 03:44 PM   #12
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
I think you just nailed it! With a number of tuners that may produce big numbers but without any longer term testing, my guess is that too many people have had bad experiences due to bad quality after market tuning, our cars now have a reputation “stay away”... I’m sure most of these are ok on short term, but what about when you get 50-75k miles (70-100k km) to the car - who long term tested the tune and other parts of the car for the new parts...? Or maybe I’m just too poor to can afford to pay for the repairs that are result of more fun...

I just wonder why BMW doesn’t take more power out of these engines when it’s so easy? The answer is probably that they don’t want to deal with the warranty claims when all sorts of things start failing... Bad for reputation, and I’m not sure if anyone can really claim that our cars are slow...

Well, the good thing is that we can all choose what we do with our cars - mine will never see an after market tune! 600 hp is quite enough for a road car. Visual mods is whole different thing, but IMO they would need to improve what’s good in the looks of the original car, not change it for something it wasn’t...

But hey, these are just my opinions...
You are absolutely right with all that you have said. As far as power is concerned, BMW makes great drivetrains that can definitely deliver more power than they sell them with. While every other luxury car maker is currently focused on improving their vehicles’ performance and styling, BMW has become stagnant of lately.

Perfect example of BMW’s reluctance to maximize the full performance of their vehicles, is their recent joint venture with Toyota. They both developed a new vehicle. For Toyota it’s called the Supra. For BMW, their version is called the Z4. While BMW chose to give their Z4 255hp, Toyota has given their version of the very same vehicle 335hp. The only difference between the two is the tune that Toyota added to their Supra. The same thing with their exterior stylings. Toyota’s has a very sleek and sporty styling, but BMW chose to go very conservatively, with a bland looking car.

BMW refuses to create an aftermarket division for their vehicles. That’s why many folks have sought to improve the overall performance of their BMWs with tuners, etc.
Appreciate 0