View Single Post
      07-29-2020, 06:40 AM   #15
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost View Post
So I am running LiquiMoly Special Tec 5W-30, and I just sent out my stuff to Blackstone also, will post back in this thread.

I want to add something to this discussion that is not being discussed - oil change intervals are only 1 PIECE of the PIE when it comes to the S63. The other two pieces are:

- High Quality Oil
- Waiting until oil reaches OPERATING TEMP before subjecting engine to load

This isn't EVERYTHING when it comes to maintaining these motors but people just think I'm going to start changing my oil often but then beat on it 60 seconds after I pull her out of the garage I'll be ok - no. Best practices are oil changes every 3-5k, good quality oil (something that I think should be debated more) and LET oil temp get to AT LEAST 200F before giving even more than 60% throttle!
Completely agree...
"Personally, $30 for a test every oil change, changes every 5k miles, using the highest quality oil available, and having a startup/shutdown process seems to be minimal investment vs even just a bearing replacement (which may or may not be necessary proactively to prevent full failure)"

It was mentioned in another thread and not reposted here I think, but you must absolutely allow oil to reach a stable temp before putting it under load. That is easily the number one thing to do for these motors, really any ICE. I would say 30% throttle (off boost) or 3k RPM actually in the S63.

I'm fairly new to my M6, but I recall other M cars having a variable red line on the tach that would slowly go away during warm up? It was still way to high, but at least was a visual reminder to keep you foot out of it.
Appreciate 0