View Single Post
      04-01-2021, 08:25 AM   #42
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I can't believe anyone was stupid enough to believe VW was changing their name just in the U.S. and as someone pointed out a quick investigation pointed out they hadn't registered the name.
That is overly harsh in my book.

As has been mentioned, media outlets attempted due diligence. They were skeptical - many very skeptical, I'm sure - just as most of us were. They attempted to get clarification from VW and were lied to again.

Also, would you believe that a corporate entity would announce a brand name without securing a trademark? It has happened, and on more than one occasion to my recollection (Ford and Microsoft come to mind). So that cannot be used as a benchmark for validation of the claim.

Finally, as stein_325i pointed out, IHOP actually *did* change their name to IHOb, so there is legitimate precedent for this type of marketing.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but to me, it typically does not come off particularly credible to come along after the fact and call lots of people "stupid" - many of whom we know are absolutely not that. I'm sure you are a clever individual who is all but completely immune to being duped or misled, and I give you kudos for you being so gifted. But for most of the rest of us, we recognize the poor judgment that went into this ruse and can empathize with those who felt some degree of betrayal.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00
Vivek.1367.50