03-03-2021, 04:41 PM   #12
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
This is just due to what you grew up with more than anything. There will be performance EV cars that will bring a lot to the table and offer a great driving experience. It will be a different experience than driving a permanence ICE car and it will evolve over time, but that doesn't mean it will be a universally worse experience.

It reminds me of the shift from Desktop computers to Smartphones. People laughed at the idea that more people would use them over traditional computers and even more laughed that you'd be able to do the same tasks on them that you can on a traditional computer. Fast forward to today and the smartphone is the primary computer for many and can perform many intense computing tasks faster than traditional desktop computers.

Even for ICE performance cars they've sort of peaked. You can only add so much HP to the equation before it becomes useless. You see it all the time here where users complain that these new cars with HP numbers into the stratosphere are "sterile" and "boring" compared to cars with a fraction of the power from ages ago. The reality is those cars are just different. I'm sure the same would have been true if we had these boards in the 70s and you'd have people with their 1940s cars lamenting on how bland those cars were compared to what they grew up with!
I see your points but I've seen far too often die-hard EV people allude to the smartphone transition or even horse buggy to automobile transition as a way to mock ICE fans. Not saying you are doing this but I find those analogies to be silly and dismissive.

I'm open to being convinced but I have yet to drive an EV that is more entertaining to drive than an ICE competitor. The Taycan is the EV world's best attempt yet but at a curb weight of 5100 lbs there's only so much it can defy physics. R&T did a comparison test between it and the 911 Turbo S and basically said the Taycan is good but isn't even in the same conversation as the 911.
Appreciate 0